Events to Mark INTO 150 in 2018
Invitation to Branches/Districts to augment this list
In 1868 – 150 years ago this year – a number of pre-existing local Teacher Associations came together to form the INTO. The Organisation has since grown to become Ireland’s largest, longest-established and only all-island teachers’ union.
To commemorate “INTO 150” a range of events have been organised. While a number of others are in the pipeline, those agreed to date include:
- Book Launch
December 2017: Publication and Launch of “Kindling the Flame: 150 Years of the INTO”. A copy of this history of the INTO, researched and written by professional historian Niamh Puirséil, has been sent to each school (North and South) where there are INTO members.
INTO /DCU PhD Scholarship at the Institute of Education Dublin City University. This three year fully funded PHD Scholarship will provide the successful candidate with the opportunity to undertake a research project in consultation with DCU and the INTO. Following the selection process, INTO Congress 2018 was advised that the successful candidate is Aoife Merrins from Dublin West Branch. We congratulate Aoife.
- Catherine Mahon Lecture Following this talk by Síle Chuinneagain hosted by District 15, that District has overseen the restoration of Catherine Mahon’s grave in Balbriggan, Co. Dublin and have had a plaque noting her INTO contribution placed on the grave.
INTO Education Research Bursaries are being increased for the “INTO 150” year to have five bursaries worth €3,000 each. The application process for the bursaries is now open with a closing date of 28 September (see Latest News notice of 19 April 2018).
- Commemorative Stamp
An Post’s Stamp Programme for 2018, approved by government, includes a stamp to mark “INTO 150”. This stamp was issued on 22 March 2018 at an event attended by outgoing INTO President John Boyle and incoming President Joe Killeen.
- Annual Congress
April 2 – 4 2018: INTO Annual Congress Killarney: Special events to mark INTO 150 included an input by Dr. Niamh Purséil (author of Kindling the Flame) on the scope of INTO history and a special gala dinner, with poetry reading by Gabriel Fitzmaurice and singing by the Teachers’ Musical Society, attended by over 500 delegates.
- Ballymena Celebration
Attended by INTO President and by Dorothy McGinley as Chair of Northern Committee on Friday 23 March 2018.
- Cycle “INTO 150” Cycle over 150 kilometres (Skibbereen to Glengarriff along the Wild Atlantic Way route) on Saturday 21 April 2018, with proceeds to Focus Ireland. Cycle now completed by approximately 35 INTO members; details of total funds raised for Focus Ireland to be published shortly.
- Commemorative Journal
April 2018: copy of the first issue of the “Irish Teachers’ Journal” (1868) to delegates to INTO Congress. Click HERE for online version of commemorative journal.
- Vere Foster
Refurbishment of Vere Foster (first INTO President) grave in Belfast (now completed by INTO District 1) and request to Belfast City Council to officially commemorate INTO’s first President.
- Commemorating Vere Foster in the area of his ancestral family home, event hosted by Ardee branch of INTO on Wednesday, 18 April in Tallanstown, Co. Louth attended by staff and pupils of Vere Foster NS, Tallanstown, by officers and committee members of Ardee branch and officers of District 5 plus INTO President, ex-President and former Presidents from District 5. Evening included a lecture on the Foster family and their links with Glyde Court, Tallanstown. Photographs taken at Vere Foster statue in the village of Tallanstown.
- Early Childhood
14 June 2018: Joint Seminar on Early Childhood Education (with Early Childhood Ireland) to take place in the Clock Tower at the Department of Education and Skills, Dublin.
Video now prepared including some highlights of INTO history. To be available on INTO website by end April.
- Exhibition Portable exhibition on INTO history prepared and displayed at Annual Congress and Northern Conference. To be available at INTO events during 2018.
- Other Events Among other events of which we are aware is a plan by District 6 (Galway and Roscommon) to plant 150 trees to commemorate INTO 150, and a colouring competition for schools (on themes of INTO’s 150th birthday) organised by Waterford City branch. Craobh Longfoirt have organised a reception and commemoration to celebrate 150 years of the INTO on 23 May 2018.
We welcome receiving details of any and all other events. Please send an email to email@example.com.