Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Teachers' GroupHome | News | History | Section 37 (1) | Confidentiality | Articles and Media | Entertainment and Social Activities | Calendar 2014
Save the Date! Saturday, November 22nd 2014 at 12.30pm
Invitation to all INTO members – ‘The Inclusive School’ Conference
The INTO LGBT Teachers’ Group is proud to be celebrating its 10th anniversary year this year. The group was founded in 2004 to campaign against the injustice of Section 37.1 of the Employment Equality Act and to stop discrimination against LGBT teachers.
It has been a great decade for the group, culminating this year in the winning of a national award, being invited to Áras an Uachtaráin and finally seeing some progress on Section 37.1.
To celebrate the 10th anniversary, the group will hold a conference ‘The Inclusive School’ on Saturday, November 22nd in Dublin’s Marker hotel.
The conference will feature a range of speakers including Senator Ivana Bacik, and drag performer / LGBT rights activist Rory O’Neill. It will also feature the launch of a poster resource for primary schools as well a group video.
The INTO LGBT Group would to extend and invitation to the conference to all INTO members.
To celebrate / attend the conference please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 31st. Places limited. Advanced registration required.
We are a group of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender teachers within the Irish National Teachers' Organisation, which was formed and fully endorsed by the union in November 2004. This was an important historical statement and acknowledgment by the INTO of the need for such a group.
At that time some general purposes and goals were set for the group:
The Group in Action
- Meets 6/7 times a year.
- Comprises of Chairperson, Secretary, and Treasurer and Steering Committee of three additional members.
- Provides a forum for discussion.
- Works on and continually revises goals.
- Invites guest speakers to address the group.
- Chairperson: Anna Marie Lillis
- Deputy Chairperson: Eileen Gamble
- Treasurer: Sharon
- Secretary: Dion Ó Caoimh
- Minutes Secretary: Niall Callan
- Public Relations: Ciara Fagan
- Other commitee members: Diarmuid Fitzgerald, Bryan Lucey, Miriam Hurley, Cathal Ó Riada and Eilís Murphy
- To promote and expand the group and to continue to provide support for all members.
- To work with the INTO equality officers and the Equality Authority in tackling Section 37 (i) of the Employment Equality Act 1998, 2004.
- To form links with teachers from other unions (ASTI and TUI), student and retired teachers.
- To endorse and support the work of BeLonGTo (BeLonGTo Youth Project, supporting and resourcing lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender young people aged 18-23).
- To liaise with GLEN and other professional groups around common goals.
- To make submissions regarding heterosexist bias in curricula (especially RSE and SPHE).
- The INTO has a national membership of 40,423.
- Membership of the INTO LGBT Teachers' group is open to all current and retired members of the INTO and to student teachers who identify as lesbian, gay or bisexual.
- Conservative figures estimate that 10% of the population is lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.
- Current membership of the INTO LGBT Teachers' Group is 90. We believe that this figure falls far short of the actual number of LGBT teachers teaching in classrooms all over the country.
The Secretary of the group can be contacted by email at email@example.com and text or voice message at 087 6952839.
Also see InTouch (the monthly magazine for teachers) for regular updates and information on the group's activities.