The INTO LGBT Teachers' Group supports and advances the cause of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender primary school teachers in Ireland.
- To make teachers and principals aware of the amendment to Section 37.1 of the Employment Equality Act (1998, 2004) and to continue to work with the INTO Equality Officers and the Equality Authority to ensure that schools are inclusive places to work.
- To encourage the visibility of LGBT teachers in schools and society at large.
- To promote teaching resources for primary schools which address homophobic and transphobic bullying (e.g. ‘Different Families Same Love’, ‘Respect: Creating a Welcoming and Positive School Climate to Prevent Homophobic and Transphobic Bullying’, and ‘All Together Now!’)
- To make submissions to ensure that curricula and school materials are inclusive of LGBT identities.
- To endorse and support the work of other professional groups around common goals e.g. BeLonGTo, GLEN and TENI.
- To form links with teachers from other unions (ASTI and TUI), student teachers and retired teachers.
- To provide a forum for social interaction and peer support, and to organise social events and gatherings.
Become a Member
The group meets about six times a year. New members are always welcome. If you would prefer to meet members of the group informally first, before the meeting, just send an email and we can arrange to meet for coffee beforehand.
We have regular social events and more information about the group, including meeting dates/times can be found here
This year we look forward to reaching out to as many of you as possible across the country in our renewed focus on social visibility and support for LGBT teachers. This will include an increased focus on regional meetings, with dates planned in Cork and Sligo. It will be a valuable chance to meet up and socialise outside of Dublin.
|Deputy Chairperson||Niall Callan|
|Treasurer||To be filled at our January Meeting|
|PRO||Anne Marie Meenagh|
|Steering Committee Members||Shauna Brennan, Bryan Lucey, Gearoid McCauley, Dion O’Keefe, John Doohan|
The Secretary of the group can also be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Also see InTouch (the monthly magazine for teachers) for regular updates and information on the group's activities.