DES Child Protection Procedures
Child Protection Procedures: Circular 81/2017
The 2017 procedures stipulate that all BOMs are required to formally adopt and implement these revised procedures as part of the school’s CSS.
In January, 2019 the DES published its full suite of 14 templates to assist schools in complying with the 2017 ‘Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post-Primary Schools 2017’ i.e.: DES Circular 81/17.
Seven of the templates/documents are completely new and these are denoted below with an asterisk*.
One of the templates has been updated from a previously published iteration and this is denoted below with two asterisks**.
Remainder templates/documents have been published previously and remain unchanged, see below.
The DES has identified the use of templates 1-4 (Inclusive) as mandatory and that the remainder of the templates are for optional use by schools. Where a school chooses not to utilize one of the below optional templates, the school must be satisfied that its paper record complies fully with the content of the ‘Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post-Primary Schools 2017’ and the content of the optional templates. For that reason the INTO recommends the use of all of the below templates as appropriate.
1. Child Safeguarding Risk Assessment Documents (Mandatory template) AS GAEILGE (No Change) comprising:
- Examples of Activities, Risk and Procedures
- Examples of Risk of Harm
- Examples of Procedures to Address Risk of Harm
3. Checklist for Review of the Child Safeguarding Statement AS GAEILGE (Mandatory template) (**Updated)
4. Notification regarding the Board of Management’s Review of the Child Safeguarding Statement (CSS) AS GAEILGE (Mandatory template) (No Change)
5. Template check list for preparing the Principal’s Child Protection Oversight Report (CPOR) AS GAEILGE (Optional template) (No Change)
6. Template for recording documents provided to the Board of Management as part of the CPOR AS GAEILGE (Optional template) (No Change)
In addition to the above previously published templates/documents the DES has now published the following 7 new template/documents not previously available:
8. Template to record how the allegation and/or concern came to be known to the DLP and record of DLP’s phone call seeking advice of Tusla AS GAEILGE (New) (Optional template) (Sections 5.1.1 and 5.3.3)*
9. Template Statement from DLP to a member of school personnel as to the reasons why a report has not been made to Tusla AS GAEILGE (New) (Optional template) (Section 5.3.8 of the Procedures)*
10. Template record of DLP informing or not informing a parent/ carer that a report concerning his or her child is being made AS GAEILGE (New) (Optional template) (Section 5.3.6 of the Procedures)*
11. Template written notification from DLP to a parent where a child protection concern about a member of school personnel has been raised by a parent AS GAEILGE (New) (Optional template) (Section 5.6.2 of the Procedures)*
Child Protection Compliance
As part of additional oversight arrangements, the 2017 Child Protection procedures state that, “the Inspectorate will monitor compliance of schools with the requirements of the child protection procedures…” including with regard to the CSS and the school’s oversight arrangements.
With regards to Child Protection the role of the Inspectorate is solely to check for compliance and that its aim is, “to ensure the education sector can be satisfied and can demonstrate that our schools are in full compliance with Children First 2015 and with the Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post Primary Schools 2017”.
There are 3 different levels of Checks which can be undertaken by the Inspectorate. The templates below provide the detail and additional information in relation to the checks to be undertaken and the format of the inspection.
Annual Review: Child Safeguarding Statement
To assist with conducting and completing the Child Safeguarding Statement Annual Review, the INTO has identified 4 areas based on the 38 checks contained in Mandatory Template 3: Checklist for Review of the Child Safeguarding Statement (see below).
These 38 checks have been banded and colour-coded in to Board of Management Activity, Information and Training, Complaints/Allegations and Principal/DLP.
Children First Training
PDST Online Training
Click on the link to access 2 online courses from the Professional Development Service for Teachers (PDST) on the Child Protection Procedures.
- Course 1: Designated Liaison Persons and Deputy Designated Liaison Persons
- Course 2: All School Personnel
TUSLA Online Training
Click on the link and create an account to watch a 90-minute training programme designed by TUSLA/CFA for Children First