DES Child Protection Procedures
Child Protection Procedures: Circular 81/2017
These procedures became effective from 11 December 2017 (Circular 81/2017) apart from the requirement to prepare and display a written Child Safeguarding Statement (CSS) which must be done before 11 March 2018. From that date the requirement to have a CSS replaces the previous requirement to have a Child Protection Policy.
The 2017 procedures stipulate that all BOMs are required to formally adopt and implement these revised procedures as part of the school’s CSS.
2017 Procedures: Main provisions
For the most part the new 2017 procedures build on and/or continue the existing 2011 procedures. Key provisions include:
- The obligation on every school to prepare and publish its own CSS before 11 March 2018.
- A new threshold and definition of “harm” as laid down in the Children First Act, 2015.
- The continued requirement to report any reasonable concern of abuse or neglect.
- Prescribing that every registered teacher is now a “mandated person” for reporting instances of “harm”.
- The retention of the role of DLP and deputy DLP with some variations in the case of mandated reports.
- New oversight arrangements – including record keeping and reports to parents and BOMs.
- Retention of the right to seek advice about whether or not to make a report to Tusla and about the type of report.
- A new Child Protection and Welfare Report Form.
- Continued emphasis on confidentiality in child protection matters and a legal prohibition on the disclosure of information to third parties.
- A statutory requirement to assist Tusla in its assessment and investigation of reports.
Please find a Q and A and a Facebook Webinar, along with all other documents, appendices and templates on the procedures below.
Children First Training Videos
Click on the link to access 2 online courses from the Professional Development Service for Teachers (PDST) on the Child Protection Procedures.
- Course 1: Designated Liaison Persons and Deputy Designated Liaison Persons
- Course 2: All School Personnel
Click on the link and create an account to watch a 90-minute training programme designed by TUSLA/CFA for Children First