Pay revisions under LRA take effect from tomorrow
The €1,000 pay restoration, originally due for payment from 1 September 2017 under the Lansdowne Road Agreement (LRA), will be paid to all teachers from tomorrow (01.04.2017).
This improved arrangement resulted from negotiations between public service unions and the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform. Sheila Nunan INTO general secretary is vice chair of the Public Services Committee of Congress.
The value of this and other restorations under LRA has the biggest impact on newer entrant pay in both money and percentage terms, as the scale changes for all teachers are augmented by part-restoration of a degree payment for joiners since 2012. This is illustrated below.
Newer Entrant Pay Revisions under Lansdowne Road Agreement (LRA)
LRA Differences August 2016-April 2017: €72 to €110 per Payslip
New Entrant 2016, on Scale Point 1:
- Scale at 31 Aug 2016: €31,009
- At 1 Sept 2016: €31,805 (+€796 S&S)
- At 1 Jan 2017: €32,806 (part restoration degree amount)
- At 1 April 2017: €33,806 (+€1,000 LRA)
Entrant on Scale Point 4:
- Scale at 31 Aug 2016: €36,576
- At 1 Sept 2016: €37,372 (+€796 S&S)
- At 1 Jan 2017: €37,529 (part restoration degree amount)
- At 1 April 2017: €38,529 (+€1,000 LRA)
- None of these increases applies outside LRA. In the absence of the Agreement these teachers would at 1 April 2017 be on €31,009 and €36,576, respectively.
- This amounts to a differential per annum of €2,797 and €1,953, respectively.
- For the teacher on point 1, the LRA difference per fortnightly payslip is €107.21.
- For the teacher on point 4, the difference per fortnight is €74.86.
- Calculations here do not include either increments or PRD/USC changes.
- To provide a full picture for newer entrants on each of the first five scale points, the corresponding fortnightly uplift for those on scale point 2 is €93.75, for those on point 3 it is €110.66, and for those on point 5 it is €71.98.
The €1,000 restoration applies to all teachers from tomorrow. For details see Page 10 of April InTouch below:
The INTO is working on examples of the step towards pay restoration for higher earners and will publish these later.
Date: Friday, 31 March 17