The INTO LGBT+ Teachers’ Group supports and advances the cause of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender primary school teachers in Ireland.
- To make teachers and principals aware of the amendment to Section 37.1 of the Employment Equality Act (1998, 2004) and to continue to work with the INTO Equality Officers and the Equality Authority to ensure that schools are inclusive places to work.
- To encourage the visibility of LGBT teachers in schools and society at large.
- To promote teaching resources for primary schools which address homophobic and transphobic bullying (e.g. ‘Different Families Same Love’, ‘Respect: Creating a Welcoming and Positive School Climate to Prevent Homophobic and Transphobic Bullying’, and ‘All Together Now!’)
- To make submissions to ensure that curricula and school materials are inclusive of LGBT identities.
- To endorse and support the work of other professional groups around common goals e.g. BeLonGTo, Shout Out, LGBT Ireland and TENI.
- To provide a forum for social interaction and peer support, and to organise social events and gatherings.
Click for further information on the INTO LGBT+ Teachers’ Group.