The INTO LGBT+ Teachers’ Group supports and advances the cause of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender primary school teachers in Ireland and advocates for LGBT+ inclusion in primary schools.
Different Families, Same Love
The INTO LGBT+ Teachers’ Group are delighted to announce the return of the Different Families, Same Love competition for May 2021. This competition is open to all primary schools and special schools in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.
- To make teachers and principals aware of the amendment to Section 37.1 of the Employment Equality Act (1998, 2004) and to continue to work with the INTO Equality Officer, INTO officials, and the INTO Equality Committee to ensure that schools are inclusive places to work for LGBT+ teachers.
- To encourage the visibility of LGBT+ teachers in schools and society at large.
- To promote teaching resources for primary schools which encourage LGBT+ inclusion and address homophobic and transphobic bullying (e.g. Different Families Same Love, Respect: Creating a Welcoming and Positive School Climate to Prevent Homophobic and Transphobic Bullying, and All Together Now!)
- To make submissions to ensure that curricula and school materials are inclusive of LGBT+ identities.
- To endorse and support the work of other professional groups around common goals e.g. BeLonGTo, Shout Out, LGBT Ireland and TENI.
- To provide a forum for social interaction and peer support, and to organise social events and gatherings.
Click for further information on the INTO LGBT+ Teachers’ Group.