Welcome to the teaching profession and welcome to the INTO. As a student teacher you have embarked upon a career that is both rewarding and challenging. The INTO are here to help you through all stages of your career.
As a student teacher you will be encouraged to join as many teaching unions as possible but at the end of your course you will need to pick just one. Read on to find out why you need to be a member of the INTO:
What is the INTO?
The INTO is the largest teachers’ trade union in Ireland representing over 45000 members. In Northern Ireland INTO represents almost 8000 teacher and student members across all education sectors.
What is a Trade Union?
A trade union is an organised group of workers who collectively use their strength to have a stronger voice in their workplace. One of a trade union’s main aims is to protect and advance the interests of its members in the workplace.
Why do I need a trade union?
As a student teacher being a member of the INTO offers you protection and security while you are on teaching practice and gives you access to our extensive advice and support network. We are here to help you if you need it – all in the strictest of confidence.
Why should I join the INTO?
- As a student teacher you can join INTO for FREE;
- As a Newly Qualified Teacher you get your FIRST YEAR OF MEMBERSHIP for FREE;
- After that you ONLY PAY for the DAYS YOU WORK – we won’t charge you when you aren’t working;
- We are a LOCAL UNION based in Belfast offering LOCAL SOLUTIONS to LOCAL PROBLEMS;
- INTO SUPPORTS OUR STUDENT MEMBERS through sponsorship of your union in many different areas and by hosting student seminars and workshops throughout the year;
- We are NOT JUST A TRADE UNION but a professional organisation too.