27th August 2018
Today, at a meeting of the INTO’s Central Executive Committee in Kilkenny, INTO General Secretary Sheila Nunan notified the trade union’s executive of her intention to retire in the summer of 2019. The early notification is tied to the INTO’s operational rules which mandate ample time be set aside for the election of a General Secretary Designate.
Sheila Nunan has been General Secretary of the INTO since 2009. Prior to that, Sheila was INTO Deputy General Secretary/General Treasurer. She has been a member of the Executive of the INTO since 1995 and was INTO President in 2005/2006. A former primary school teacher and principal, Sheila is a graduate of University College Dublin and St. Patrick’s College, Drumcondra.
Sheila is the current president of the Irish Congress of Trade Unions. She is also Vice-Chairperson of the Public Services Committee of ICTU. In that role Sheila has been centrally involved in all public sector pay negotiations in recent years. Sheila is the ICTU nominee on the Governing Authority of Maynooth University.
INTO President Joe Killeen said, “In view of the decision of the General Secretary to retire in the summer of 2019, the CEC initiated procedures for the election of a General Secretary Designate from within the membership. An internal election will begin in earnest with a view to electing a successor later in the autumn. Sheila remains at the head of the INTO for the coming year where her unwavering, steadfast and strategic leadership will ensure we deliver for our members in the forthcoming Budget and beyond.”
The Central Executive Committee of the Irish National Teachers’ Organisation invites applications for the post of General Secretary of the Organisation.
The General Secretary, who is the full-time Chief Executive Officer, shall be elected by the members of the INTO from candidates who are or who have been teachers and members of the organisation for not less than five years.
Prospective candidates must be nominated by a branch or branches of the INTO representing at least 500 members.
The successful candidate will take up office as General Secretary Designate not later than March 2019 and will take over as General Secretary not later than August 2019.
Application forms and conditions of service are available from the firstname.lastname@example.org
Completed application forms must reach the General Secretary by 5:00p.m. on Friday, 21st September 2018.
In view of the decision of the General Secretary to retire in the summer of 2019, the CEC has decided to initiate procedures for the election of a General Secretary Designate as follows:
- Application forms, which are available from email@example.com, must be completed and returned to the General Secretary not later than 5:00p.m. on Friday, 21 September 2018.
- Each Branch shall be invited to nominate a candidate from the list of qualified candidates, at the October Branch Meetings.
- Branch nominations shall reach the General Secretary not later than 5:00p.m. on Tuesday, 6 November 2018.
- The nominations shall be published in December InTouch Magazine and Officer Extranet.
- Voting papers shall be issued to all eligible voters on Monday, 26 November 2018 based on the Organisation’s membership list at that time. The poll will close on Monday, 17 December 2018 @ 5:00p.m.