22nd March 2023
The Department of Education today published details of the free primary book scheme being introduced in primary and special schools in the 2023/2024 school year.
The key aspects of the scheme include:
- Per capita funding of €96 for all primary and special schools.
- Funding to be used to purchase textbooks, workbooks and copybooks for pupils.
- Funding may also be used to purchase classroom resources.
- Provision for a “top up grant” for developing schools and where exceptional circumstances arise due to increased enrolments.
- The books purchased remain the property of the school.
Following representations by the INTO, a grant for administrative support to support the implementation of the scheme is available.
Reacting to the announcement today, INTO General Secretary John Boyle said:
We welcome this important scheme and confirmation that administrative support will be provided to schools to ensure smooth national rollout. It is vital that the Department of Education now moves swiftly to provide clarity in respect of the Minor Works Scheme for 2023-2024 and adequate provision of general school funding through the capitation grant.”