15th June 2021
The INTO LGBT+ Teachers’ Group are delighted to confirm the winners of the Different Families, Same Love competition for 2021.
To mark International Family Equality Day (IFED) and International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia (IDAHOBIT) we asked teachers to take action in their classrooms between the 2 and 17 May to celebrate the diversity of people and families in Ireland and to address homophobic, biphobic and transphobic bullying in schools.
The standard of entries for this year’s competition was exceptional and the judges faced a challenging task selecting winners. Criteria for judging/entries was based on: relevance to the theme, overall quality of the work, creativity and originality and how well the learning was shared with wider audiences.
INTO President Joe McKeown said:
Congratulations to all the pupils and schools who entered this year’s ‘Different Families, Same Love’ competition. The standard of entries was absolutely fantastic. This competition is a wonderful way to celebrate our commitment to inclusiveness in our schools. Well done to all involved in organising and participating in ‘Different Families, Same Love’ this year.
Different Families, Same Love 2021 winners
Our junior winner was second class in D7 ETNS (teacher: Susan Bailey), who created a really creative inclusive board game called ‘Don’t Wake Granny’!
- 1st: 2nd class in D7 ETNS
- 2nd: Senior Infants in Hansfield ETNS
- 3rd: 1st Class in Castaheaney ETNS
- Senior Infants in St Mary’s Primary School
- Junior Infants to 2nd in Holywell ETNS
- Sean’s Junior Infants in Gracepark ETNS
- 2nd Class Green in Esker ETNS
- 2nd Class in Our Lady of the Wayside NS
- Kim’s Senior Infants in Hansfield ETNS
- Tara’s 2nd Class in Tuam ETNS
- Junior Infants in North Kildare ETNS
Our senior winner was Robert’s 5th class in Balbriggan ETNS with a project that included an art construction, folding books, an animation, a podcast, a stop-motion film and posters!
- 1st: 5th class in Balbriggan ETNS
- Joint 2nd: 5th class in Portlaoise ETNS and 6th class in Rathfarnham ETNS
- 3rd: 3rd and 4th class from Scoil Chlíodhna in Cork
- 3rd and 4th class in Gaelscoil Eois in Monaghan
- 5th Class in Lecarrow CNS in Roscommon
- 3rd Class in Swords ETNS
- 3rd class to 6th class in Holywell ETNS
- Bríd’s 5th class in Portlaoise ETNS
- 3rd Class in St Mary’s Primary School, D7
Teacher winner of the One4All voucher
- Martine Hill, Our Lady’s Girls’ Primary School, Belfast
Thanks to all members, pupils and schools who entered this year’s competition and please keep an eye out for further coverage of the winners over the next week!