How to Join
The following are eligible for admission to ordinary membership of the Organisation (Rule 75):
- Qualified teachers serving under and in receipt of salary from An Roinn Oideachais. Qualified shall mean the completion of a full-time third level course of a period of not less than two years for those applicants for membership who complete their courses after September 30th, 1976.
- Qualified teachers serving in schools and institutions recognised by the Department of Education in Northern Ireland.
- Such other category or categories of teachers as may be defined by the Central Executive Committee (CEC).
Provision is also made in the Rules (Rule 76), subject to certain conditions, for the following categories of membership:
- Teachers on courses;
- Teachers on leave without pay or on career breaks;
- Substitute teacher members;
- Honorary members;
- Student members;
- Part-time teacher members; and
- Associate members.
Substitute teachers are eligible for full INTO membership, new members will receive 3 months free membership when they sign up then a percentage of your salary (.75%) will be deducted from salary when you undertake substitute work.
A substitute teacher normally becomes a member of the branch closest to where they live, however, substitutes can be a member of any branch they wish and can request a change whenever they want. If you join as a substitute member and then change to a permanent, fixed term or CID position in the future there is no need to complete a different application form you can just update your profile online by changing the category from substitute to permanent and updating your school roll number.
Permanent, fixed-term and regular part-time teachers
Teachers can join the INTO online or by downloading and completing an application form:
- Go to the online site
- Go to the page for the membership application form. This form should be returned to your branch secretary for signing.
Teachers serving in a permanent of fixed term capacity receive 3 months free membership when they first sign up for membership then a percentage of salary (.75%) will be deducted from salary every fortnight after that.
When a teacher joins the INTO and the salary deduction is set up, this mandate remains all through their teaching career and a deduction will be taken any time a salary is paid to that teacher unless instructions are received from the teacher to cancel their membership.
If the teacher goes on career break or stops teaching the deduction will not be taken from salary as no salary exits, their membership will then lapse automatically. However, when the teacher returns from career break their INTO membership will restart again automatically.
Career Break Teachers
Career break membership (similar conditions apply to teachers on other categories of unpaid leave including APSO leave, extended unpaid maternity leave and unpaid sick leave).
Teachers on career break who have already been full members, may join a special category of INTO membership. The following conditions shall apply:
- the subscription shall be at the rate of €30 per school year;
- the teachers concerned shall register with Head Office and copies of InTouch shall be sent to an address specified by the teacher;
- they shall remain members of their original branch;
- where possible, they shall be entitled to the facilities which are available to ordinary members;
- they shall have the right to attend and speak at branch meetings, but not to hold any office;
- they shall not have the right to a vote at branch meetings, or in any INTO elections or ballots;
- they shall be entitled to death grants.
If a teacher wishes to do substitute work while on career break, they must take out substitute membership in order to be covered while working in the school.
Teachers interested in availing of career break membership should download the form from our website and return it to the Membership Section, INTO Head Office, enclosing a cheque/postal order for €30.
An information sheet for career break members is available from the bottom of this page.
Job Sharing Teachers
The subscription rate for job sharers is €8.90 per fortnight.
Direct Debit/Direct Payment members
- Members teaching 17 hours or over per week will pay €28.92 per month,
- Members teaching 12 hours and over but under 17 hours per week will pay €19.28 per month,
- Members teaching less than 12 hours per week will pay €14.46 per month.
Other Categories of Membership
Details of application procedures for other categories of membership are available on request from the Membership Section, INTO Head Office.