Assistant General Secretaries
Anne is head of the Legal, Industrial Relations and Leadership Section in INTO Head Office. She is a qualified barrister having being called to the bar in 2008. She also holds a BEd degree and an honours LLB in lrish law. Anne initially worked as a primary teacher in St Joseph's NS, Tullamore before taking up appointment in INTO Head Office.
Initially, Anne was assigned overall responsibility for managing members' queries. Subsequently she served as Equality Officer and as secretary to the INTO's Equality Committee. She was promoted to Senior Official and then as Assistant General Secretary in January, 2002.
The Legal & Industrial Relations Department in INTO Head Office has a wide brief including dealing with:
- Child protection
- Policy formation
- Issues arising in the area of staff relations including advising on various procedures such as mediation/arbitration/grievance/harassment/bullying
- Procedures related to the recognition of qualifications and teacher evaluation including Whole School Evaluation
- Health and safety matters including allegations of assault
- Relations with management and parent organisations
- Disciplinary matters
- Casework which involves pursuing/defending claims on behalf of individual teachers in a variety of forums eg Employment Appeals Tribunal, Equality Tribunal, Labour Relations Commission/Labour Court, Board of Management meetings, District/Circuit/High Court proceedings, etc.
Deirbhile taught in St. Attracta's JNS, Dublin 16, prior to being appointed director of Gaelscoileanna in 1988.
She was appointed as an Official in the Education Section of INTO Head Office in 1992 and subsequently also served as INTO Equality Officer and as secretary to the INTO Equality Committee.
Deirbhile is now Director of Education & Research and secretary to the INTO Education Committee. Her remit includes education issues and policy, including curriculum and assessment, special education, social inclusion, early childhood education and Gaeilge.
She represents the INTO on many external education bodies including the Council of the NCCA, An Chomhairle um Oideachas Gaeltachta & Gaelscolaíochta and the National Council for Special Education.
In addition to a BEd, Deirbhile holds a Masters and PhD in education from University College Dublin.
Deirdre currently heads the Conditions of Employment Section in INTO Head Office. Since her appointment to INTO Head Office in 2002, she has worked in various areas of the Organisation including Professional Development, Legal & Industrial Relations, Special Education and co-ordination of INTO Trade Union Training. She served as Equality Officer from 2010 to 2014.
Deirdre taught in St. Mary’s BNS, Monaghan for 13 years, and spent three years working with the Primary Curriculum Support Programme from 1999 to 2002.
She has been involved in INTO since the beginning of her career, including acting as staff representative, Branch Secretary and Staff Representative Tutor.
She holds an MSc in Education Management (UUJ, 2002) and a Diploma in Employment Law (Law Society, 2011). She currently a member of the Teaching Council and the Executive Committee of the ICTU.