Welcome to the INTO webpage specially for new teachers.
Throughout your career, the INTO aims to provide you with professional advice and trade union support. You can access this at school level through the INTO Staff Representative, at Branch or District Level or you can contact INTO Head Office directly.
The full contact details for Head Office are available here.
As a new member of the INTO you will receive an INTO New Member's Pack containing a range of useful resources together with your membership card.
New Members' Booklet
Permanent and fixed term teachers are paid by the Department of Education and Skills [DES] 26 times per year, normally on a Thursday. The DES operates a PayPath facility through which salary is paid directly to a bank or building society account.
A pay slip stating gross and net pay and giving details of deductions made from salary (tax, PRSI, VHI, INTO, Comhar Linn, etc) is also sent directly to an address nominated by the teacher. Log into Members’ Area for information on understanding your payslip.
Part-time/Substitute teachers pay
|Effective Date||Daily Rate||Hourly Rate|
|Appointed on or after 1 February 2012*||€152.22||€30.45|
|Appointed on or after 1 January 2011*||€153.22||€30.71|
|Appointed before 1 January 2011*||€173.84||€32.89|
In the event that a qualified substitute teacher works for more than 40 days in the academic year, each additional day worked over and above 40 days will be paid at a personal daily rate. The personal daily rate is determined by the incremental point of the common basic scale and the appropriate qualification allowance.
For more see Circular 0015/2015 on Revised Payment Mechanisms.
Find Substitute Work
INTO SubSearch is designed to help teachers find substitute work – whether just out of college or seeking part-time employment.Substitutes register their profiles and availability on the site – while principals can search for registered substitutes in their area.
SubSearch facilities include:
- Substitutes may register for work in up to three locations.
- Principals can search for available qualified teachers within specified distances of their school.
- Substitute teachers can be automatically texted or emailed about their availability.
- Both substitutes and principals can indicate a preference for work in a Gaelscoil or Gaeltacht situation.
- Video tutorials and FAQs about using SubSearch are available online.
- A weekly reminder is generated to substitutes on the list to update their details. Substitutes can update their availability for the next two week period.
- SubSearch is compatible with smartphones and tablets. The mobile version of the site can be used by substitutes to update their availability and by principals to search for a sub.
Register on subsearch.into.ie
The INTO advises new teachers taking up employment to:
- Register for induction workshops with the National Induction Programme.
- Register for probation with the Limerick Education Centre with the Form OP1.
- Complying with Garda Vetting procedures.
- Make sure the school has completed the Teacher Appointment Form if you are taking up appointment as a permanent or temporary teacher. Click here for the appointment form.
- Make sure you have completed Income Tax Form 12A if you have not been employed previously or Form 12 if you have. This will allow a certificate of tax free allowance to be issued and thereby limit the amount of time you spend on emergency tax. See www.revenue.ie.
INTO has published a series of articles in InTouch for new teachers on such topics as Induction, Assessment and Classroom Management. Click here for past articles.
New INTO members
Seminars and meetings for new members of the INTO are organised every year throughout the country by INTO Learning through local structures. Topics covered include among other issues job applications, interview skills, panel rights, pay equalisation, INTO membership and benefits