Teachers who are paid incremental salary by the Department of Education may apply for incremental credit for previous employment. Incremental credit may be awarded to qualified primary teachers in recognition of relevant teaching and non-teaching service for the purpose of progression on the incremental salary scale.
Refer to DES Circular 10/01: Amendments to the Scheme for the Award of Incremental Credit which contains the eligibility criteria for application under each of the following heading:
- Common Basic Scale
- Increments for Length of Training
- Post Primary Qualified Teacher with Post Graduate Qualification working at Primary Level
- Teaching service given outside the Republic of Ireland
- Substitute teaching service within the Republic of Ireland
- Approved substitute teaching service in primary schools within the State replacing a teacher on study leave under Rule 116
- Relevant non-teaching experience in the Republic of Ireland
- Service given in private schools
- Teaching service in 3rd level institutions
- Application Forms
To apply for incremental credit, a person must obtain verification of service from the relevant employer and submit a copy of the application form contained in Circular 0010/2001 to the Incremental Credit section of the DE for assessment. In the event that an application for relevant non-teaching experience is refused after being assessed by the DES, there is an appeals mechanism that can be availed of.
Qualified primary and post-primary teachers may appeal a decision to limit or refuse a claim of incremental credit for relevant non-teaching service to an independent appeals committee. The appeal application must be made in writing to:
Department of Education, Incremental Credit Unit, Teacher Special Needs Assistants Terms and Conditions, Athlone, County Westmeath, N37 X659.