Supplementary Panel

Circular and application form

The application deadline for the 2021/22 Supplementary Panel is 18 December 2020. Postal or email applications must be received by Allocations in the Department of Education by 5pm on this date.

Circular 0078/2020 (PDF)
Panel access for fixed-term/temporary (this includes substitute) and part-time teachers to the Supplementary Redeployment Panel for the 2021/22 school year.
November 2020

Supplementary Panel Application Form 2021/22 (PDF)
Application form for access to the supplementary panel for eligible fixed-term/temporary (includes substitute) and part-time primary teachers for the 2021/22 school year.
November 2020

DE FAQs to Circular 0078/2020 (PDF)

Supplementary Panel Webinar

What is the Supplementary Panel?

The Supplementary Panel is used to make appointments to full-time, permanent jobs, only where these jobs are not otherwise needed to facilitate the redeployment of surplus permanent or CID-holding teachers through the Main Panel.

The Supplementary Panel is intended to give teachers who have a minimum service threshold priority access to jobs in their diocese, within a 45km radius of their current school.

It does not guarantee teachers a permanent position, and the Supplementary Panel will not clear in every diocese or region.

Eligibility for Supplementary Panel


In order to be eligible for the Supplementary Panel, a teacher must have moved up at least three incremental points for their substitute or fixed-term service by the end of the December when they apply, or if they have only moved up two incremental points, they must hold a contract to the end of the school year in which they apply.

One incremental point is earned for every 183 days of substitute work, or every 365 days of temporary work (both equating to a full year of work).

The service in question doesn’t have to be continuous, so if a teacher is only working sporadically, it could take four or five or six years to earn the necessary increments.

Part-time, fixed-term service will count toward your incremental progression, and your supplementary panel rights.

Your current point on the incremental scale is printed on the top right-hand corner of your payslip.

Only non-permanent service, paid by the Department of Education, will count toward Supplementary Panel rights. Incremental credit for service abroad, or in private schools, or for relevant non-teaching experience will not be counted, and neither will increments earned for previous permanent service.

Post 2011 entrants

Broadly speaking, if you started at point one of the salary scale, and all your incremental progressions have been earned through non-permanent service, you will need to either be at point three with a contract from 18 December 2020 to the end of the school year, or at point four (or if you have benefited from an incremental skip under the PSSA, point five).

Pre 2011 entrants

If you started at point two of the salary scale (i.e., if you have a B.Ed), you will need to either be at point four, with a contract from 18 December 2020 to the end of the school year, or at point five of the scale, in order to access the Supplementary Panel.

If you started at the third point of the salary scale (i.e., if you have a Postgraduate qualification), you will need to be at point five with a contract from 18 December 2020 to the end of the year, or at point six.

Review of your salary scale point

If you think the salary scale point indicated on your payslip doesn’t reflect all your service, you should contact DE Primary Payroll here and ask them to review your service and scale point.

If you believe you have sufficient service, you should still apply – the incremental points are used as a proxy for service, and you will not be penalised if your progression was incorrectly delayed by payroll.

Earnings in 2020

There is also an earnings criteria to meet in the calendar year in which you apply – ordinarily you must have gross earnings of €30,000 if you’re on the post 2011 scale, or €33,000 if you’re on the pre 2011 scale.

However, in light of the prolonged school closures in 2020, these earnings requirements have been reduced by 30% for this year.

As such, teachers on the newer salary scale must have earnings of at least €21,000 for the 2020 calendar year, and those on the pre 2011 scale must have earnings of at least €23,000.

Usually, a teacher’s earnings for the year to date will be printed on the bottom of your payslip. This is still the case for most teachers. However, subs who did not have work during the prolonged school closure had their DES employments ceased with Revenue. As a result, when these teachers started working with the DES again in September, the gross earnings on their payslip will only be reflective of earnings from September onwards, when they recommenced employment. Teachers in this situation need to log onto Revenue My Account online to view their total gross earnings for the year.

If you have been employed in a fixed-term, part-time position for some or all of 2020, you should indicate this on your application, and the Department of Education will adjust the earnings threshold downward, on a pro rata basis.

Similarly, if you were on maternity or adoptive leave in 2020, the Department will take account of this when assessing your earnings.

Registration and probation

You must be fully registered with the Teaching Council as a Primary Teacher, without conditions or restrictions.

Ordinarily teachers must be fully registered by the application deadline, but this year have until 26 February 2021 to become fully registered.

Questions around registration requirements this year should be addressed to the Teaching Council of Ireland.

Which Panel are you applying to?

For the Catholic and Church of Ireland panels, this will usually be the diocese where you are currently working.

However, if you have worked between two panel areas in the calendar year in which you are applying for Supplementary Panel, you can elect to either go on the Panel in which you had the most service during that year, or the Panel where you hold a contract to the end of the school year.

So, for example, if a teacher was employed in Dublin from January – August 2020, and then took up a fixed-term contract in Kildare-Leighlin for the 2020/21 school year, they could elect to go on whichever is their preferred Panel. They have worked for the majority of 2020 in Dublin but hold a contract to the end of the 2020/21 school year in Kildare-Leighlin.

Educate Together and An Foras Pátrúnachta, operate a national panel, so you may be offered a post within a 45km radius of your current school, without reference to diocesan boundaries, and at Part 2 of the application form, you may also indicate if you are willing to consider jobs in other counties.

For the first time, supplementary panels are now available for teachers in Community National schools, which operate in the ETB system. There will be a panel for each ETB area.

Sending your application form

For the first time, the Department of Education are accepting Supplementary Panel applications sent by email. Applications must be completed, signed, and scanned, and received no later than 18 December 2020.

Postal applications may still be sent and must be received by the Department of Education on or before 18 December 2020. Late applications will not be considered, and applicants should retain proof of postage.

Engaging with the Supplementary Panel

On your application form, its important that you carefully read and note the Declaration at Part Three. Failure to comply with the conditions set out in the circular may lead to the forfeiture of your Supplementary Panel rights for 2021/22.

You must be contactable at the email address or phone number you supply on your application form, as these are the details Principals will use when making appointments in the summer-time.

If a formal job offer is made to you, in writing, you have three days to accept. If you turn down a formal offer from a school within 45km of your current school, you will lose your Supplementary Panel rights for 2021/22, but will be free to re-apply in December 2021.

If you choose to take up a fixed-term job for 2021/22, you must submit a Panel Update Form to remove yourself from the Supplementary Panel, and you will be free to re-apply in December 2021.

I have applied to the panel – what happens next?

If you have questions about the Supplementary Panel, the INTO QueryLine operates 9am – 5pm, Monday to Friday, on (01) 804 7700.

Still have questions?

Submit your query by email to INTO. Please include your payroll or membership number.