forgot password / new user

Special Education Posts



Special education is educational provision that is designed to cater for pupils with special educational needs, and is additional to or different from the provision which is generally made available in mainstream classes for pupils of the same age. Such education may take place in mainstream schools, special schools or a special class or unit. This section contains information on aspects of special educational services in these settings.


Special Education Teacher Posts (S.E.T. posts) NEW

Circular 13/2017 outlines the new special education teaching allocation process for schools for the 2017/18 school year. This allocation provides schools with a single unified allocation for special educational support teaching needs to each school, based on the school’s educational profile.

Circular 13/2017 replaces the GAM/EAL allocation process and low incidence teaching hours (LITH)/resource hours from the NCSE in accordance with DES Circular 02/2005.

Appendix C of Circular 17/2017 Staffing Arrangements in Primary Schools for the 2017/18 school year for their 2017/18 outlines the following:

  • Schools special education needs allocation hours for 2017/18
  • Number of full-time permanent S.E.T. posts
  • Number of hours/minutes available for clustering with other schools

It is important to note that any hours clustered to create a full-time (25 hrs post) and submitted to the DES by Thursday 30th March 2017 on Form S.E.T. Cluster 2017 (app D of staffing circular 17/2017 are permanent posts (P 10 of Circular 17/2017).

Visiting Teacher Service

Click on the link below to download the Information Leaflet for the DES Visiting Teacher Service for children and young people with a hearing or visual impairment (VTHVI):

The Visiting Teacher Service of the Department of Education and Skills provides support for children who are deaf/hard of hearing and for children who are blind/visually impaired.

Visiting teachers are entitled to the payment of an allowance equivalent to an assistant principal's allowance. They are also entitled to travel and subsistence allowances as determined by the Department of Education and Skills. Visiting teachers who are not provided with official office accommodation are paid an office allowance in respect of the use of their homes as work bases.

Visiting Teacher positions are advertised in the press, by the Department of Education and Skills, as vacancies occur.




Update: March 2017